London is one of the most important tourist places in the world that is frequented by people of all ages throughout the year for different reasons. If you are interested in visiting London in spring, then there are definitely many different things to do in London during this period. Here are a few favourites!
What to see and best things to do in London in spring?
- Gardens & parks: During spring, the gardens of this city is said to come to life. One of the best is the Chelsea Physic Garden which starts its main exhibit on March 31st, and is also considered to be the world’s oldest apothecary gardens, including hundreds of spots around the Garden brimming with Galanthus (Snowdrops), Narcissus (Daffodils), Leucojum (Snowflakes) and other early spring flowers. Other amazing thing to do in London in spring is to see the beautiful azaleas display at Richmond Park’s Isabella Plantation. It is an amazing 40 acre woodland garden set within a Victorian plantation since 1830’s. First opened to the public in 1953, its evergreen azaleas line the ponds and streams and at their peak of flower in late April and early May.
During this season, the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew also offers daily blossom spotting walks for the whole family. The Log Trail was Created from trees brought down in the storm of 2013, and it’s the perfect place to let off steam.
- BNY Mellon Boat Race: It is held on 7th April this year. Light Blues and Dark Blues are said to race on the River Thames Tideway, between Putney and Mortlake. On this day, the elite rowing eights belonging to the Cambridge and Oxford Universities participate to compete with one another to take control of this river. It stretches between Putney and Mortlake on the River Thames in south west London. This course was first used for The Boat Race in 1845 and has been used for every Race since; apart from 1846, 1856 and 1863 when the race was held in the opposite direction between Mortlake and Putney.
- London Marathon: It is held on 28th April this year, when trainers and lycra are the norm. you can display your support for the brave souls running the long 26 miles.
- St. George’s Day: It is held on 23rd April and is considered to be one of the capital’s biggest event. The London Mayor’s St. George Feast is held at Trafalgar Square. You can expect food stalls, cookery demonstrations, dancing performances and live music and is one of
- the best things to do in London in spring.
- Canalway Cavalcade: It is held between 4th & 6th May. is a distinctive waterway festival that has been taking place at Little Venice since 1983. On these days, the Little Venice Canals do appear to be very colourful and the waterways come alive with entertainment which also includes Morris Dancers, music and food stalls.
- London Coffee Festival: Held this year between 28th & 31st March, this friendly beanfest is sure to help you have good, delicious coffee. It features over 250 stalls and showcases gourmet foods and artisan coffees at Old Truman Brewery, located at Brick Lane.
Overall, London in spring can be really mesmerising and beckon you to come again for more.
Thank you for making this far reading our article. I hope you’ve enjoyed it! If so, please share or comment! We would love to hear your thoughts. If you would like to receive more posts like this, info and offers about travel in Europe, please subscribe to our newsletter!